Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dien Bien Phu on BBC Radio 4

Dien Bien Phu on BBC Radio 4 27 Apr 2014 01:38 #1

• William
  • Thank you received: 2
Ok, so it's not quite "modern wargaming", but to begin the Modern Category:

At 8pm on Saturday 26th April, BBC Radio 4 broadcast "Archive on 4: The Siege of Dien Bien Phu". As you know, this was the 1954 siege that ended French colonial rule in Indo China, with huge ramifications for subsequent international politics - most obviously American involvement in Vietnam. Michael Herr's superb book Despatches draws parallels between DBP and Khe Sanh.

As the title suggests, the programme is a collection of audio clips from the archives, linked by an very informative narration.

When I was about 11 I did a class presentation about Dien Bien Phu. It must have been inspired by a recent article in Military Modelling or something similar. I'd completely forgotten about it until I heard the programme.

If you have any interest in this period, particularly the wars in Vietnam, I recommend that you listen to it on BBC iPlayerRadio before Friday 2nd May.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MickA

Dien Bien Phu on BBC Radio 4 27 Apr 2014 12:29 #2

• Raedwulf
Thanks - I shall definitely be listening to that. I too have long been interested in this conflict. Red Star have now switched from 'Grosny' to 'Dien Bien Phu' and their figures are fantastic.

www.redstarminiatures.eu/shop.html

They were kind enough to include some of my photos (of Grosny) in their gallery -but their own photos have to be seen to be believed. Some of them look like photos of real life. They put on a game of Dien Bien Phu at Salute this year.

Ralph

Dien Bien Phu on BBC Radio 4 27 Apr 2014 13:06 #3

• Brett
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
Ooooh! Nice figures!

Dien Bien Phu on BBC Radio 4 28 Apr 2014 09:43 #4

• Raedwulf
Just listened to this broadcast - very interesting. A decisive battle that changed world politics, the anniversary of which is likely to be overshadowed by the Great War and D-Day. Thanks again for drawing it to peoples' attention.
Ralph
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds