Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Danger Close

Danger Close 16 Jan 2014 18:56 #1

• FBH
according to the information I was able to find it was 500 yards in world war two.

Which makes my mishap last night all the more understandable
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Danger Close 16 Jan 2014 19:50 #2

• William
Wouldn't it depend on the munitions/weaponry being used?

I'm guessing that eg. a 150mm shell has a larger blast radius and danger zone (not necessarily the same thing?) than eg a hand grenade.

And possibly the army (or "army-type military organisation") involved. Some militaries having little concept of "danger close". And even less concern.

I've known a couple of people for whom being "danger close" would mean being in the same city as them. But that's enough about my exes.....

Danger Close 16 Jan 2014 20:02 #3

• Fastbreeze
The following article on Wikipedia, provides a useful insight into the procedure. The process closely matches the procedure used by a British MFC. Also gives mention to differing ranges based on calibre. From a war gaming perspective the process used in GHQs Micro Armour is the most realistic process. Taking into account reaction time from the battery by nationality. A very nice game I might add, I digress...

The articles is called Fire Discipline

Danger Close 16 Jan 2014 21:52 #4

• Brett
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
You only have to look at the images of the 56 ton Tiger tank in Normandy, which has been flipped over by artillery fire. I would suggest that Danger Close would depend on what is firing at you! Perhaps a major over simplification I know

Danger Close 16 Jan 2014 22:14 #5

• Fastbreeze
Brett, you are correct in your assumption, calibre will have an effect. An extract from the article explaining both the purpose of Danger a Close and associated ranges based on calibre.

Extract: If the forward observer or any friendly troops are within 600 meters of the impact point, to keep themselves safe, the forward observer would declare "danger close" in this last element.

Danger close ranges[1]
600 meters, generally
750 meters, naval guns 5-inch and under
1000 meters, naval guns over 5"
2000 meters, naval 16" ICM
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds