Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mongols

Mongols 21 Jan 2014 22:03 #1

• Who?
So who else is getting 10mm from Pendraken? Apart from who?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mongols 21 Jan 2014 23:09 #2

• Brett
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
Bookmark, Redders and me, but it's WW2 or AWI I'm afraid.

Mongols 22 Jan 2014 06:33 #3

• MickA
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
I have 10mm VBCW/early WWII.
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything...

Mongols 22 Jan 2014 23:31 #4

• OCSAdmin
  • Administrator
  • The Ancient
If you are playing FOG Ancients, Mongols can be quite a good army

The early stuff is fairly typical Nomad fare, with armoured noble cavalry, lesser gentry as protected cavalry, often still of Superior morale, and the bulk of the warriors as unarmoured light horse archers.

In the middle periods, most of the cavalry is drilled, and it can all be armoured and of Superior morale, and even the light horse can be all be Superior morale as veterans

Later again, pretty much all the Mongol cavalry is Drilled, Armoured and Superior, most of the light horse is supplied from Chinese or allied Nomad sources (which means low points cost), but if they are Mongol they are Superior veterans. On top of that, you can add colourful Chinese infantry of various types (and variable quality) as support. There are even some options for artillery.

Very mobile - especially the drilled versions - but if you take too many of the expensive toys, can suffer from being too small. Can struggle against large blocks of infantry, but if you have the patience to skirmish with the light horse whilst ganging up on the flanks with the heavier cavalry, can still come out on top.

John
John Orange

Club Web Site:
Plymouth Association of Wargamers

Family Web Site: The Oranges

Mongols 23 Jan 2014 10:41 #5

• Raedwulf
I have a 25mm Mongol army and a limited experience of FOG. In 25mm FOG is an entirely different game to when it is played in 15mm, largely because you still use a 6' x 4' table.

Admittedly I have always played against a seasoned FOG veteran, but using a Mongol army left me feeling that I had absolutely no chance of winning. My light horse had little room for manoevre, and my opponent's steady advance across the table simply squeezed my army into a tighter and tighter space.

Since becoming a Saga addict, I am also much happier to see figures based individually. In particular, Mongol heavy cavalry just looks too closely bunched together, and for other periods, heavy infantry based four abreast look like they don't have room to swing their weapons. My tendency nowadays is to base figures individually and then place them on MDF movement trays for other rulesets - in particular this is what I hope to get round to doing with my Mongol army, and then perhaps experimenting with Hail Caesar, which I have played occasionally and is a fine set of rules.

Fireforge are about to bring out a range of Mongols that will oppose their Teutonics. One thing that has always surprised me is that many ranges (such as the Old Glory Mongols in Europe range) include Chinese and Korean auxiliaries, and Fireforge is no exception. I don't know what historical evidence there is to support the contention that Korean auxiliaries marched all the way across Asia, keeping up with the Mongol ponies, and then took part in campaigns in Poland and Hungary. Personally I think it far more likely that the Mongols drew their support from subjugated nations that they suppressed on their way, such as Georgians.

Be that as it may, if you get into 25/28mm Mongols, I would go for basing your figures individually, and there is a good chance that you will even get to us them for Saga, either representing Steppe Tribes, or the Steppe Nomad Swords for Hire. When Cross and Crescent is released, there is no reason to suppose that a Mongol faction might be introduced in the future, and I suspect that is why Gripping Beast now have a Mongol range.

Ralph

Mongols 23 Jan 2014 21:20 #6

• Brett
  • Administrator
Oooh! Teutonic Order fighting the hordes from the east. No that appeals on so many levels! Lol!

I get the impression that the Mongol armies were pretty big as well, so anything beyond a SAGA force would seem to be a serious commitment painting wise.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds