Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bloody Topsham...

Bloody Topsham... 26 May 2014 20:31 #1

• William
  • Thank you received: 2
On Wednesday 28th May at 11.30am (doors open at 11am), Topsham Museum will be hosting a lunchtime lecture on “Topsham and the Civil War – Bloody fighting in the streets”.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bloody Topsham... 26 May 2014 20:38 #2

• Brett
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
Sounds interesting.

I'm from Topsham originally and there was a battle on Topsham Flats (between the bridge over the Clyst and where Dart's Farm now is), which has been re-enacted a couple of times by the relevant ECW groups. I went to one of them and it was ok.

Bloody Topsham... 27 May 2014 02:07 #3

• William
Aha!

The Battle of Topsham Flats. Apart from the river Clyst it is indeed as flat as…. well, as flat as a wargames table.

I'd heard of a battle thereabouts, then thought I'd got it confused with the battle at Clyst St Mary (Prayer Book Rebellion 1549), because I never see it mentioned in books about British battlefields. I suppose there were small battles/ big skirmishes all over the place during the ECW, and most were too small to be mentioned in anything other than local guides.

I've just dug out and looked through The Sieges of Exeter 1642-1643 by Stuart Peachey (Stuart Press 1995), and while it mentions fighting at Topsham it doesn't give any locations. The following caught my eye (bits in square brackets [xxx] are my additions (or an edit)):

"Probably on this day [1st January 1643] the Exeter [Parliamentary] garrison attacked [Royalist besiegers in] Topsham [….], but was repulsed with the loss of 12 muskets, a scarlet coat lined plush, a beaver hat, good buff coats, many swords, and Captain Yeo of Hatherley in North Devon killed."

On first reading I thought that "12 muskets" meant twelve musket-armed men, but looking at the list of losses it seems to be literal. Ooh, I bet their sergeant was simply furious afterwards, "You 'orrible little men, what do you mean you've lost your muskets? You're going to be on jankers for the duration…."

Bloody Topsham... 27 May 2014 07:40 #4

• MickA
  • Administrator
Are you going William? If so mail me and we'll sort out travel arrangements :)
If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything...

Bloody Topsham... 19 Jun 2014 15:33 #5

• Who?
Bunch of thugs at Tophsam ... Always kicking off

Bloody Topsham... 06 Oct 2015 07:24 #6

• Redders
  • Administrator
Found this nice synopsis of the Civil war around Exeter.
It also mentions Exmouth fort at Dawlish Warren?

www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/civilwar.php
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds